Director of Construction
Based on experience
Position: Construction Manager
Supervisor: Director of Construction
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Pay: Based on Experience
Construction manager coordinates and supervises solar plant construction activities. He/she assist the project manager with project planning and cost estimates. Construction management experience is required. 3-5 years solar and/or wind construction experience preferred or related experience with large-scale electrical projects.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate and supervise the building of utility-scale solar plants, including roads, electrical systems and other infrastructure as required.
- Oversee the construction phase of the project from start to finish working with an experienced team of superintendents and trades persons.
- Mentor and lead capable project superintendents to enhance their career and the company’s future
- Assist the project manager in estimating project costs and schedules. Support the project manager in the development of bids for subcontractors.
- Work with the project manager to implement the schedule and coordinate activities, ensuring that the solar plant is completed on time and within budget.
- Work closely with engineers such as civil and quality engineers, trade workers such as electricians and welders, and other construction specialists.
- Supervise subcontractors and personnel, confirming that work has been completed according to company, environmental, safety and other requirements and regulations.
- Communication skills. Construction managers must give clear orders, explain complex information to workers and clients, and discuss technical details with other project specialists. They must also provide status updates to the project manager, clearly stating project progress, issues, and any impacts to schedule or budget that should be addressed.
- Decision-making skills. Construction managers choose personnel and subcontractors for specific tasks. Often, these decisions must be made quickly to meet deadlines.
- Managerial skills. Construction managers coordinate and supervise workers. Establishing good working relationships with staff, employees and subcontractors is critical. Construction managers must also delegate tasks to other team members, workers, and subcontractors effectively.
- Problem-solving skills. Construction managers must identify and solve unexpected issues and assist the project manager in mitigating impacts to schedule or project cost.
- Technical skills. Construction managers in the solar industry must be familiar with solar technology and understand construction methods related to solar plant construction.
- Time-management skills. Construction managers must meet deadlines. They ensure that construction activities are completed on time so that the next activity can begin.
- Possesses a strong understanding and belief in the Affordable Solar Core Values:
- Excellence in Service
- Shares our company vision: will be the industry standard for safety and excellence in service by training, equipping and deploying an elite workforce.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Understand cost estimates, budgets, and work schedules
- Understand contracts and technical information
- Report work progress and budget matters to management
- Collaborate with managers, trade workers and other construction specialists
- Oversee subcontractor activities
- Respond to work delays, emergencies, and other challenges
- Comply with legal requirements, safety/OSHA codes, Affordable Solar and client policies, and other regulations.
- Appear well-groomed, present a positive company image, and treat others with courtesy and respect.
- Work cooperatively or independently and inspires a team effort with all tasks. Communicate pro-actively.
- Service reporting, work order documents, and records will be written neatly, legibly and completed correctly.
- Ability to work in a high volume, multi-priority environment and to give and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Work in an indoor or outdoor environment in adverse weather conditions with blowing pollen, dust, and grasses.
- This position will have direct and indirect supervisory responsibilities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at project sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust.
POSITIONS TYPE & EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Employees in this position are expected to work 40 hours per week. Specific work schedule to be determined based on Affordable Solar needs. Travel Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Additional Eligibility Requirements Must possess a valid and appropriate state driver license prior to employment. An employee may not have been convicted of Driving Under the Influence within the last five years or employment or have more than 5 points on his or her driving record.
- Routine travel with overnight, extended stay travel is required with this job.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.