Field Maintenance Technician
Field Maintenance Technician
Position: Field Maintenance Technician
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt Hourly
Pay: Based on Experience
A Field Maintenance Technician is responsible for conducting general maintenance and repairs on the field. This person should be a thorough professional with a practical mind and attention to detail, with the ability to work autonomously and responsibly by observing all health and safety guidelines. An Equipment Maintenance Technician ensures that all equipment receives regular and repair maintenance in a scheduled and efficient manner to keep it in operating form. This position requires a diverse mix of both hard and soft skills, particularly manual labor skills.
A Field Maintenance Technician is responsible for keeping all equipment operating and repairing any problems when they are discovered before they have a chance to worsen. Successful maintenance technicians are detail-oriented with strong manual dexterity and problem-solving skills. Some other tasks may be called upon to do include:
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fixing potential safety hazards to avoid injuries.
- Ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, motors, pneumatic tools, and production machines; following diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer’s instructions, and engineering specifications; troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Developing and implementing preventative maintenance procedures.
- Plans and schedules repairs.
- Locates sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Removes defective parts by dismantling devices; using hoists, cranes, and hand and power tools; examining the form and texture of parts.
- Determines changes in dimensional requirements of parts by inspecting used parts; using rules, calipers, micrometers, and other measuring instruments.
- Controls downtime by informing production workers of routine preventive maintenance techniques; monitoring compliance.
- Maintains equipment, parts, and supplies inventories by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed equipment, parts, and supplies; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt.
- Conserves maintenance resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides mechanical maintenance information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares mechanical maintenance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Perform electrical systems maintenance.
- Quality check equipment regularly to ensure everything is in working order.
- Select and contract specialists on larger maintenance related projects.
- Advise purchasing manager during new equipment purchases.
- Train employees on proper equipment usage.
- Perform administrative computer tasks as needed.
- Act as an on-call handyman when needed.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Equipment Maintenance
- Technical Understanding
- Deals with Uncertainty
- Basic Safety
- Power Tools
- Attention to Detail
- Job Knowledge
- Interpersonal skills to interact with employees or customer in a pleasant manner
- Attention to detail to ensure that all jobs are completed in an exemplary manner, and any potential hazards or warning signs of problems are not overlooked
- Ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds as necessary to complete work
- Physical stamina to handle a full shift of being active and working at the job site
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification. Trade school certificate in related field or Associates degree preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- In-depth knowledge of electrical and hydraulic systems.
- Advanced understanding of general maintenance procedures and techniques.
- Physically capable and available to work overtime including weekends, public holidays, and evenings as necessary.
- Effective problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be well- organized and have the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Completion of an apprenticeship under a professional maintenance technician a plus.
- Strong critical thinking and creative skills
- Detail-oriented and organizational
- Thorough working knowledge of facility equipment units, their usage, and safety procedures
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities independently
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities as assigned and subject to changes as business needs change.
- Able to work and maneuver in a construction environment.
- 100% Field Work.
- Working conditions: Outside work, noisy conditions, shift work, flexible hours and schedules, not afraid of heights, standing long periods of time, extreme temperature conditions.
POSITIONS TYPE & EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a full-time position. Hours often follow typical those of a typical construction workweek. However, you may be required the work weekends or after normal business hours from time to time.
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations as required within New Mexico.
- As required, please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Other duties as assigned by the superintendent, project manager, Director of Construction, General Manager, and/or COO.