It is no secret that the workplace is a hub for appliances, electronic devices, electricity and more. Outlets are packed with charging devices, lamps, printers, shredders and all other types of office equipment. It is vital to always be conscious of the devices that are in use, and to take advantage of when we are able to unplug, power down, and perhaps use sparingly when possible. Staying conscious of your business carbon footprint will play a large part in saving the planet. The average employee in America spends 44 hours per week at work. That is about 176 hours per month. That’s a lot of hours! Considering how much time everybody spends at work, imagine the difference that could be made if businesses made the commit to lessen their carbon footprint! Here are some ways to start decreasing the carbon footprint of your workplace:
- Use reusable coffee mugs, glasses, plates, silverware, etc.
- Skip the bottled water, invest in a water filter station for employees to fill up their reusable bottles.
- Bottled water accounts for an extreme amount of the pollution that is in our ecosystem, and even in our bodies. The plastic from the bottles are not biodegradable, they simply break into smaller pieces and they pollute our waterways, contaminate our soil, and sicken the animals – which, by the way, most people eat.
- Use ENERGY STAR office equipment/appliances.
- An Energy Star computer uses 30-65% less electricity than other computers.
- Energy Star appliances also come in copiers, printers, monitors of all kinds, and imaging equipment.
- Energy Star Certified is a trusted label that is placed on the products that meet the energy-efficient requirements set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Encourage work-carpooling and public transportation!
- A large percentage of the United States greenhouse gas emissions come from transportation sources.
- Be mindful of office waste
- Encourage less unnecessary printing and copying.
- Educate your staff and your customers!
- Make sure everybody who contributes to your business is aware of the goal to help save the planet by reducing the workplace carbon footprint. Inform them of the ways that this can be done.
- Invest in SOLAR ENERGY!
Due to the numerous advantages of solar energy, many businesses are now turning to solar power as their new source of energy. From the cost, to the easy maintenance, to the fact that it will help save the earth, there are plenty of reasons to show why solar energy is a great investment for your business.
Electricity is expensive, especially for an office building! Solar power will greatly reduce or even eliminate an office buildings electric bill. As a business owner, you will also receive a high return on your solar power investment. Check out our previous post about the Solar Tax Credit. Solar power is a responsible financial decision that will translate to long-term savings and quick payback, but the product itself is also reliable and consistent, and it makes sense in every way! Installing solar panels at your business means you won’t be vulnerable to electricity-price volatility. You will lock in an affordable and consistent electricity price for numerous decades, regardless of inflation, workplace pattern changes, or any other reasons for high electric costs. Also, don’t forget about the trusty warranty that comes along with it, guaranteeing a stress-free and dependable product and service.
Business all around the world are stepping up and doing their part to help fight climate change. Reducing carbon pollution is the goal, and we can achieve this with a few daily adjustments. Reducing the carbon footprint of your business will lead to a healthier lifestyle, and a happier planet earth!